Do you see a photograph in our Photograph Collection online or in our Research Library that you just have to have? Are you a researcher, web designer or media producer who needs a photograph for your project? Do you have a school history paper and need the perfect photograph to illustrate your text? We can help!
Original photographs come in numerous sizes and conditions of preservation. There are various technologies with varying costs for making copies and there may be related issues of copyright and use agreements related to making and publishing copies of photographs. It should be noted that all photocopying damages documents physically and chemically. Researchers are urged to make a good faith effort to take notes in lieu of requesting photocopies.
- Photocopying is done at the discretion of CCHM.
- Due to their condition, age, or legal restrictions, some material may not be reproduced.
- Oversized materials larger than 11 by 17 inches, bound manuscripts, and rare books will not be photocopied.
- Entire published works, manuscripts, transcripts, or photographic collections will not be photocopied or reproduced.
- Cameras, hand-held scanners, or other duplication devices are not allowed in the Research Library.
- Permission to examine, request, and obtain photocopies of materials in the Research Library is not an authorization to publish them.
- Some items that cannot be photocopied or scanned may be photographed and mailed for a fee.
- Allow two weeks for delivery of photographic reprints
Rights and permissions for photo usage vary by type of use.
- Personal Use
- …means using a photograph for personal, non-commercial purposes such as a wall display in a private residence and personal historical research. No other rights are granted.
- Reference Use
- …means using a photograph in scholarly research, but does not include publication. No other rights are granted.
- Commercial Use
- …means using a photograph in a commercial application such as advertising. Rights are granted after payment of a Usage Fee.
Personal Use and Reference Use
For Personal Use and Reference Use, users should complete:
The cost of reprints varies depending upon the size and quality and number of reprints. For Personal Use and Reference Use, reprints may be ordered as:
- Office copy machine-quality copies on ordinary copy paper for which the fees are:
- 8.5 x 11 inches – 25¢ per page
- 8.5 x 14 inches – 35¢ per page
- 11 x 17 inches – 45¢ per page
For commercial uses, please see:
Please note that fees are subject to change.